Friday 5 September 2014

Dragon's Breath (Red Cabbage)

The garden & market are bursting with fresh fruit and veggies and I'm trying really hard to find recipes that my family will like to add a little variety to our vegetable diet. We are mostly lovers of fresh veggies and there is very little interest in cooked vegetables, so I'm working hard to add a cooked vegetable to every dinner in addition to the fresh veggies and salad that are already a staple.

When you're a mom of twin 3 year olds and you're trying to feed your family a little more vegetables, you start getting creative with names. There's nothing spicy or firey about this dish, it's not even sour like the cabbage dishes like Sauerkraut, it's almost sweet with the onion and garlic. The name Dragon's Breath is just the only way I could think of to make this dish appealing to 3 year olds, 2 adults with special needs (who sometimes react to food the way my 3 year olds do) and daddy ladybug...who also heard that cabbage was on the menu and wrinkled his nose.

Well, it worked...it was fabulous! Bug ate it all, Daddy Ladybug, Uncle Ladybug and Ms. Ladybug were happy and Lady...well...she still refuses to try anything new. I'll have to make it about 5 more times before she'll give it a try. I would eat 2 huge helpings, so I think it's on the menu for tomorrow again! 
(insert maniacal laughter here) 

This dish is inspired by a dish I had at a friend's house, I was so surprised that cooked cabbage could taste so yummy, I had to give it a go myself. She made something similar with green cabbage, but here's my version with red.


Dragon's Breath (Red Cabbage)

1 head Red Cabbage. shredded thin
1 Onion, sliced really thin
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Oil (any kind you want, the milder flavour the better)*
1 Tbsp Butter*
1/4 cup Broth (chicken or veg work best)
Salt & Pepper, to tastes

*if you really want a low-cal/low-fat dish, use a non-stick pan and skip the oil and/or butter.

In a large saucepan or skillet, heat oil and butter until butter melts. Add cabbage, onion, garlic, broth and seasoning, stir well. Cover and cook on medium low heat for 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is soft.

A perfect side to Bratwurst and Mashed Potatoes.

There you have it...cabbage can be easy, healthy, and good. So next time you're in the market, don't pass by that beautiful head of red cabbage, pick it up and take it home!

~Adel~

No comments:

Post a Comment