Thursday 28 February 2013

ABC Chicken Soup


It's yucky outside and hubs has a bad cold that seems to be slowly making its way to the kids. I seem to be immune so far (unfortunately...I really would like a sick day once in a while)!

I thought what could be better than yummy chicken noodle soup - with a twist.  Our theme this week is the Alphabet, so I decided make it with ABC's  - that way Lady & Bug will gobble it up and learn at the same time.

ABC Chicken Soup



1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 chicken breast, cooked & diced
1 onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
1-2 celery stalks, diced
6 cups Chicken Stock*
1 cup Alphabet Pasta
Salt & Pepper

*I make my own stock so it has lots of flavour already. If yours doesn't just add some thyme and oregano (that's what I put in my stock).

Cooked the chicken breast on a broiler pan in the oven (about 20 minutes at 350 F) while sautéeing the onion, carrot & celery in a large soup pot. Dice the chicken and add it to the veggies. Cook for a few extra minutes to combine the flavours. Add the chicken stock. Bring to a Boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 5-10 minutes more (until the pasta is soft). Add salt & pepper as desired and serve with hot cheesy biscuits.

Yummy comfort food for a cool, rainy day on the west coast!

~Adel~

Note: Alphabet Pasta can be found in your local grocery store. I found mine at my local Safeway (canada)...but it wasn't at the Safeway in the US that I occasionally shop at. I have seen it at Walmart too. I found it in the pasta isle, but if it's not there check in your international or mexicain isle- look really closely - it doesn't look like all the other pastas. I found the Catelli Brand. It comes in a small box (375g - about the size of Mac & Cheese), they also have stars and rings if you want other fun shapes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment