Monday 30 June 2014

Strawberry Jam

It's been a lovely season for strawberries in the Fraser Valley and I've been making everything I can think of with the strawberries we picked at Krause Berry Farms, today was Strawberry Jam. 

I invited some dear friends, Sue & Amanda to join me in jam making - it's always so much more fun to do things like this with other people! All three of us have twins around a similar age, so they all played wonderfully in the rec room while we worked hard in the kitchen.

Every time I make jam I'm always surprised that it's not as hard as it seems. Sure there's some prep work to be done and you need to have all the tools ready and sanitized, but once I get going it really only takes me 1/2 hour to make a batch. So for anyone else overwhelmed by the idea of making jam - it's really not that hard, just give it a try for delicious jam. The best part is that you know exactly what's in it and it always tastes better homemade!


Strawberries from Krause Berry Farms

Mashed Strawberries

We cooked the Strawberries, lemon juice & Pectin, then added the sugar (I used 1 less cup of sugar) and boiled again.

Poured the jam into jars, put the lids on, and "canned" them in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Finished product (always happy to hear those lids popping!)

Who can resist a warm loaf of homemade bread with freshly made jam!

Yummy!

Hope this inspires you to pick some fresh berries or fruit and make your own homemade jam!

~Adel~


You may also like...










No comments:

Post a Comment