Thursday 9 May 2013

Apricot Jam

This summer, while camping with my family, we had the fortune of finding an apricot tree that wasn't going to be picked. The lady that owned the tree graciously allowed us to pick what we wanted. We spent hours and hours cutting, pitting, and bagging apricots. There was enough to provide for everyone there. I made 3 large batches of jam when I got home, but it's all gone, a staple of many dishes in the Ladybug house.

My freezer is still full of fruit, so it was time to make another batch.

I always thought preserving was so difficult, but last summer I asked my mom to come show me how and was surprised to find that while it requires some precision, instruction reading, and time, it's not very hard.

I used the Bernardin's No Sugar Needed Pectin recipe for Peach Jam and just used apricots instead. It is less sweet than regular jam, but it works well for cooking, which is what I mainly use it for.

First, I prepared the fruit and brought it to a boil along with the pectin, juice, & lemon juice. Once it boiled, I added the recommended amount of sugar (I didn't use sweetner) and let it boil again for the required time.


Then I filled the jars and put them in the canner to process for 10 minutes.


and voilĂ ...jam!


Now we can have Lady & Bug's favourite Spicy Apricot Meatballs again!

~Adel~




No comments:

Post a Comment