Saturday 2 March 2013

Rainbow Shot of Gold


Perhaps it's the Irish blood coursing through my veins or my love of the colour green, but St. Patrick's Day has been one of my favourite holidays as long as I can remember. 

Rainbows fascinate me and I just couldn't resist making rainbow Jello for the kids. Yumm...I had forgotten how much I love Jello! It brings back memories of elementary school and the clear plastic cups of lime Jello with whip cream and green sprinkles. 

I decided to make mini versions with rainbow Jello in shot glasses.


Rainbow Shot of Gold

Strawberry Jello
Orange Jello
Lemon Jello
Lime Jello
Blue Raspberry Jello
Grape Jello
Boiling Water
Cold Water (or ice)
Whip Cream
Chocolate Gold Coins (My Canadian version has Loonies!)

  • In a bowl prepare the Grape Jello according to the directions.
  • Pour into your chosen serving dish (I used shot glasses, but you could use a clear baking dish, wine glasses, clear fruit bowls, a large crystal bowl, or any other nice clear serving dish you can find. If you're making tiny ones like I did, you'll need a secondary dish for all the extras.
  • Refrigerate until set (make sure it's level!). Make sure the layer is set before adding another one.
  • Repeat with the Blue Raspberry, Lime, Lemon, Orange & Strawberry Jellos until you have all the colours nicely layered. 
  • Top with a dollop of whip cream and a gold coin.
  • I made these for kids...if you wanted to make adult versions, just replace the cold water with Vodka.
This is not for those looking for instant results...the process takes a whole day so don't expect to serve it the day you make it!


Slainte

~Adel~


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've always liked these rainbow things but I rarely have the patience to do them! Love the gold coin on the top! Very festive! :) I do a neat craft in Kindergarten for Spring / St. Patrick's day. Half a paper plate - glue on cotton balls. Then put different streamers (bonus if you can get rainbow order) and glue hanging out the bottom. Very cute and very easy! :) I'll have to remember to take a photo this year......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do take a lot of time, but the end result is so pretty and tasty! That craft sounds great, we'll have to try it out as one of our St. Patty's day crafts!

      Delete
  2. Here - I should have known I'd find it on Pinterest... so here's a photo of what I was talking about.... http://pinterest.com/pin/16184879880922165/

    ReplyDelete