Friday 9 May 2014

Camping Spices

Camping season is getting close! I'm just itching to go, so it's on to planning and trying new ideas to see what will work for us this year. The camping bins have been re-organized and the packing list is in the process of an update. 

My kids are a year older now and some of the things we couldn't do last year are now possible with the development of some basic (and I mean basic) listening skills and reasoning abilities! I can't wait for the first planned trip of the year in June. Maybe I'll be spontaneous if there's a nice week before then.

Anyway, enough babble about camping...my northern and eastern Canadian friends are tuning out as they are still dreaming of seeing the grass poke out of the snow, I'm sure camping seems like a pipe dream at this point! Sorry!

Here's something I've been working on to reduce the amount of things I have to take with me.

Camping Spices


 I've emptied a Wilton Sprinkles container and re-filled each section with a different spice. It's not terribly easy to get the spices in - it required a very small funnel (or you could use a small piece of paper rolled into a tube instead), but the end result is fabulous. There's just enough spices in one section for a week camping, which is probably the longest we would go at any one time.


I have two, the first one I made with mixed spices (shown) like greek, taco, italian, Old Bay, garlic powder & BBQ seasoning, and one with regular spices/herbs like seasoning salt, oregano, basil, onion powder, parsley & thyme. I think I might make one more for the other spices that I don't use quite as often, but are nice to have around: cumin, paprika, cayenne, rosemary, dill, and chili. Just gotta make few more cupcakes to use up those sprinkles.



These containers are great for spices because they pour nicely to fill a measuring spoon or sprinkle seasoning if you do it carefully.

So there's another camping trick from my bin, hope it works for you too!

If you want more camping ideas, check out my Camping Page for a great packing list of what to take when you're camping with kids, my 2013 camping menu, 10 Great Meals for Camping with Kids, help with organizing camping stuff and more!

Happy Dreaming!

~Adel~


1 comment: