Saturday 10 May 2014

Jam Lattice Bars

Mother's Day.
It is a special day for me, I was born on Mother's day - the first child and grandchild in my family (on both sides) to top it off, it was also my grandparent's anniversary that day.

Now that I'm a mother, it continues to remind me of where I came from and the long line of women who came before me.










Me & my grandma, great-grandma & mom at my grandparent's 25th anniversary a few days after I was born.

Today, I'm honouring my mother and all the women who came before her.. 

Grandma Ladybug is a wonderful baker (from a long line of wonderful bakers). If you know her, you've probably been blessed with some baking! She routinely brings baking to the older people in her community and bakes up a storm for every church function. If she's coming to visit, she probably has an armful of baking with her. 

Grandma Ladybug is one of my favourite people in the whole world. I love my mom, she is incredibly generous, kind, helpful, strong, hard working and though she has not had an easy life, has remained joyful and positive through it all. I've learned a lot from my mom and I'm honoured to be her daughter!

In honour of Mother's Day, I've made one of my favourite recipes that my mom makes. 


Jam Lattice Bars

2 & 1/2 cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Margarine or Butter
3/4 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Tbsp Milk
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
2 cups Jam (any kind - I used Strawberry)

Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Cut in butter (with a pastry cutter). Mix in sugar. In a separate bowl, combine egg, vanilla & milk & cinnamon. Pour into butter mixture and mix or knead until all ingredients stick together in a solid ball. 

Cut dough in half. 

Roll out one half on a floured surface and place on bottom of a greased cookie sheet. Spread out and patch as needed. 

Spread jam on top of the dough and spread evenly to cover the entire pan.

Roll out the other half of the dough and cut long strips to use as lattice on the top. Lay down strips in a criss-cross pattern to create a lattice effect on top of the jam.

Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, top will be slightly golden brown. Sprinkle top with sugar and allow to cool before serving.



Happy Mother's Day!

~Adel~

No comments:

Post a Comment